Why Facebook for Digital Evangelism
Facebook and Google have taken the larger share of the social media platforms drawing billions of people to their platforms every month. Though they may have their disadvantages, they serve as a platform to preach Christ. Facebook evangelism is one way to take Jesus to the end of the earth as commanded through the Great Commission
Before defining Digital Evangelism, let us take a review of what evangelism is. Evangelism is telling people about the Good news of Jesus Christ. We must understand the fact that “It is first evangelism before it is digital”
What is this Good news? the purpose of the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Digital evangelism is telling the good news of Jesus Christ in the digital world
IF THE MESSAGE IS NOT ABOUT CHRIST, IT IS NOT DIGITAL EVANGELISM
Before we continue, let us look carefully, the statistics of Social Media and Facebook given by Datareportal in February 2021
We went through the statistical journey to affirm that there are lots of opportunities on Facebook and the internet world to share Christ. Over 33 million people are on Facebook, there is an opportunity to share the Gospel with these people.
When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. 1 Cor. 9:22
Apostle Paul gave us a ground to preach Christ and to become all things to preach Christ.
This should stir us to Take Jesus to the Facebook Platform.
Also, Facebook is widely accepted in Nigeria and it is a platform where you will find an average teenager. It can also be accessed through various phones.
Why Digital Evangelism?
- The world is digital and the Gospel must go digital
- It is the fastest way to reach people without stress
- People are desperate for online communities
- People find online interactions safer
- Online engagement facilitates long term engagement
- There are no geographical boundaries
- There is a societal change and we must embrace it
- We need to raise a new generation of digital ministers
- None Christians are searching for Christ online
- It is cheap and affordable
- It is easier
Setting Up Facebook for Evangelism
1 in 5 Nigerians have an account on Facebook so I assume you are one of the 1 in 5.
But if you don’t have an account on Facebook you can set up your profile by going to Facebook
Register with your
Fill in other details required and open an account.
Checklist for Setting up to Facebook
- Profile Pic
- Profile Bio
- Add some photos about yourself
- Make some friends
- Talk about Jesus on your feed
- Share about other things on your profile
You must show people that you are real, that is why this checklist is important. You will be talking about Christ to people and they must be assured and feel safe when they check your profile.
Choosing a Platform on Facebook
- Facebook Profile
- Facebook Page
- Facebook Group
All these platforms can be utilized to evangelize Christ but you might be wondering, how can I know the best platform?
A Facebook profile is an individual’s personal account, where he or she can post updates, upload photos, share videos, maintain a friends list and provide personal information. Though “profile” is often used to refer to the page of both personal or professional accounts, businesses have Facebook “Pages” which offer advertising features.
Profiles are intended strictly for individuals only and are meant for non-commercial purposes. In fact, to use one for commercial gain is a violation of Facebook’s terms of service and can get the account suspended.
Facebook profile is very much different from Page or Group. It is the center point of managing all other platforms.
We must understand this to know how to approach evangelism on Facebook.
A Facebook Page is a public Facebook account that can be used by brands, organizations, artists, and public figures. Businesses use Pages to share contact information, post updates, share content, promote events and releases, and — perhaps most importantly — connect with their Facebook audiences.
Creating a Facebook Page
Before you can sign up for your Facebook Business Page, you need to log into your personal Facebook account. Don’t worry—the information from your personal account will not be publicly visible on your business Page.
This is simply because every business Page is managed by one or more page administrators. The administrators are people with personal Facebook accounts. Your personal account works like the key to let you into your new business Page. If you have team members helping you with your Page, their personal accounts will also unlock their specific roles and capabilities.
You can either
- Create a new page or. To create a new Facebook Page. Click here
- You can turn your profile into a Facebook Fan Page. To convert your profile, click here
Please note that converting your Facebook Profile to Facebook Page will not delete your profile or affect your friends. All your friends will automatically like your new page.
Facebook Groups are spaces on the social media network for friends, acquaintances, or people with similar interests to discuss or share broad or narrow topics. Groups provide an avenue to bring people of the same interest, i.e. believers come together for the Gospel.
Facebook group owners can choose from three privacy settings for groups:
- Public groups are open for anyone to join and the content is visible to the entire Facebook community.
- Open groups will encourage membership since no barriers exist, but in some cases, you may want to limit membership.
- Closed groups are visible to outsiders, but people can join only when another member invites them, and only current and former members can see secret groups. Closed and secret groups are useful when you want a more exclusive gathering for loyalty rewards and customer support forums.
- Facebook Profile is relevant for Individual Evangelism
- Facebook Page is relevant for Church and Ministry
- Facebook Group can be used by both individual, church or ministry
As we have understood the purpose of each platform, we can discuss their usage
- Facebook Profile: A profile will be very useful for personal evangelism. Chatting up a friend and encouraging them in the way of the Lord and also leading them to Christ.
- Facebook Page: Churches, ministries will find the Facebook pages useful for evangelism. People will trust to interact with Facebook page because it represents an organization.
- Facebook Groups: For evangelism, groups are useful for group evangelism, you can easily invite people to a group and share content that talks about Jesus
As we continue, we will understand better which platform is suitable for us. However, we must engage all platforms for sharing Christ
Understand Your Mission
The ultimate mission we have is to represent Christ in the digital world.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 1 Cor. 5:17-21
Though God has given each of us different visions to enable the Gospel’s spread across the world, we must recognize that our first assignment is to
- Be an ambassador of Christ
- Appeal to people
- Implore them to be reconciled to Christ
God has given us different visions to fulfill his eternal agenda.
- Different age ranges to target,
- Different assignments
- Different focuses of the Gospel
- Different locations
- Different patterns
BUT THE SAME GOSPEL!
This applies to the digital world. We must align our activities on Facebook to God’s given mandate.
Apostle Paul understood this when he pointed out that he was sent to make the Gospel known to the Gentiles and Peter to the Jews.
When you understand your personal evangelism mission on Facebook, it becomes easier. The world is so large that you cannot reach everywhere.
In understanding your mission, you will understand your audience which is a prerequisite to knowing how to reach them. The way you will approach a younger generation in the digital world is different from the way you will approach an older generation
These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. Matt. 10:5
Jesus sent them out to the LOST SHEEP of the HOUSE OF ISRAEL, not to the GENTILES. Understand the peculiarity of your assignment before you can have success in digital ministry
KNOW THE ___ OF YOUR ASSIGNMENT
- LOCATION (City, State, Country, Continent)
- DEMOGRAPHY (Age range, Gender,
When you understand your mandate, vision, and mission, you will know which Facebook platform to use and how to use it.
Learn more about Digital Evangelism
- 5 Digital Evangelism Strategies for Digital Ministry
- 2 Models of Digital Evangelism